- SECOS has added to its existing range of Compostable Biopolymer Resins through the introduction of a new certified Home Compostable resin for food and packaging applications.
- The new resin formulation enables SECOS Biopolymer bags and film products to be composted by householders in their home-compost bin or via existing organic waste collection arrangements such as green bin waste.
- SECOS’ new resin was developed in response to demand from major retail brands plus film and bag producers, who increasingly require bags and film to be produced using Home Compostable resin, to meet their sustainability requirements and to reduce non-compostable, oil-based plastic waste, of which a high proportion ends up in land fill.
- SECOS’ new Home Compostable Cardia (BF03-HC) resin grade is FDA (US Food and Drug Administration) compliant and safe for food contact applications.
- Cardia resins are certified compostable to AS4736, EN13432, ASTM D6400, and now with the new Home Compostable resin are certified to Australian and French Home Compostable standards, AS 5810 and NF-T51-800.
Sustainable and eco-friendly biopolymer developer SECOS Group Limited (ASX: SES, “SECOS” or “the Company”) is pleased to announce the release of a new Home Compostable resin grade for use across a range of flexible applications.
As announced in the SECOS Investor Presentation on 2 April 2019, SECOS identified a range of food and consumer packaging applications as key strategic growth markets. This new grade of Compostable Biopolymer will complement the Company’s existing compostable resin range and opens significant new opportunities to supply the food and packaging sectors domestically and internationally.
The new Home Compostable resin allows SECOS to provide a product packaging and waste management solution that directs used packaging to either a home compost or an industrial compost end of life solution, which is consistent with Circular Economy Principles.
SECOS Chief Executive Officer, Mr. Ian Stacey, said: “Branded companies requiring sustainable packaging are increasingly searching for an alternative compostable replacement of single use-plastic packaging and plastic bags. Consequently, SECOS is seeing a significant increase in demand for certified Home Compostable resin, which when converted into food and consumer packaging, or bags, offer consumers multiple end-of-life options including Home Composting.
“SECOS is working with converters in both domestic and several overseas markets, who are looking to utilize Home Compostable resin in a number of new applications such as Box Liners, Food Packaging Bags and Carry Bags.”
“The Company’s new Home Composting certification will mean that carry bags, food produce bags and other fresh food packaged in compostable bags can be picked up from the retailer, stored at home and finally disposed of with food waste either into existing organic waste streams (e.g., via green bin waste when it is diverted to organic waste treatment processing) or via domestic composting. SECOS Compostable Bags assist householders in diverting food waste from land-fill which ultimately reduces greenhouse gas emissions.”
SECOS Head of Research & Development, Mr. Markus Leufgens, said: “The new Home Compostable formulation is a result of SECOS’ targeted R&D activities, which for the last year have been focused on the development of new compostable formulations. The Home Compostable formulation is the first new product from this program, and importantly meets Australian and International standards for Home Compostability. SECOS expects to further broaden its product range with the release a number of new grades in coming months.”
The Home Compostable formulation will open significant new opportunities within the food and consumer packaging markets for SECOS. The Home Compostable formulation can be produced at our plants in both Malaysia and China.