- Market for WPC and NFC composites steadily growing
- More than 350,000 tonnes of bio-based composites produced in Europe in 2012
- Be part of it and book your spot now!
The nova-Institute is a private and independent institute, founded in 1994; nova offers research and consultancy with a focus on bio-based and CO2-based economy in the fields of feedstock, techno-economic evaluation, markets, LCA, dissemination, B2B communication and policy. The nova-Institute from Huerth, Germany, will also be exhibiting at this year’s COMPOSITES EUROPE in the area of bio-based composites.
Dipl.-Phys. Michael Carus, the managing director of the nova-Institute, already sees a positive trajectory for bio-based composites being used in a range of manufacturing applications. “In 2012, about 100 companies in the EU produced more than 350,000 tonnes of wood- and natural-fibres reinforced bio-based composites. The majority of these products were extruded into decking using wood flour and wood fibres (wood-plastic composites, WPC). Natural fibres are deployed primarily for use as compression-moulding parts in car interiors. In 2012, 90,000 tonnes of these natural fibre composites (NFC) were used by automobile manufacturers across Europe. The combined share of WPC and NFC bio-based composites has already reached 15% of the total composites market.” (https://news.bio-based.eu/bioverbundwerkstoffe)
In a recent study, the nova-Institute laid out a number of different scenarios for the future unfolding of the bio-based composites landscape. “A favourable political and economic framework has been creating clear forward momentum, particularly for injection and compression moulding, which will replace significant amounts of conventional composite materials. This would greatly reduce greenhouse gas emissions. At COMPOSITES EUROPE, the institute will participate in a group stand focussed on bio-based composites while offering project development and consultation services in areas such as bio-based materials, techno-economic evaluation and eco balancing.” Carus said.
Be part of it: Bio-based composites at COMPOSITES EUROPE 2014
For the first time, there will be a specially focused, dedicated presentation of bio-based composites at the COMPOSITES EUROPE 2014. The following key players from the bio-based industry have already booked their spots for 7 – 9 October 2014:
- Beologic (www.beologic.com): Supplier of various WPC granulate and Know-How (BE/AT/SE), own stand
- Biowert (www.biowert.de): Supplier of plastic granulate from grass (DE/CH), joint stand
- European Industrial Hemp Association (www.eiha.com): Supplier of technical Hemp fibres for composites, joint stand
- Jakob Winter GmbH (www.jakob-winter.com): Producer of various products from natural-fibre compression moulding parts, like e.g. special cases (DE), own stand
- nova-Institute (www.nova-institut.eu): market research in the field of bio-based composites, techno-economic evaluation, LCA, dissemination and consultancy (DE), joint stand
- ISOWOOD (www.isowood.eu): Producer of natural-fibre nonwovens for compression moulding parts (DE), own stand
- Armacell (www.armacell.de): Producer of technical foams and insulating materials (DE), own stand
- FKuR (www.fkur.com): Specialist of a wide range of bio-based plastics (DE), joint stand
- TransFurans Chemicals (www.transfurans.be): Producer of a new range of furanic resins based on prepolymers of furfuryl alcohol, a biomass-based chemical (BE), joint stand
- STAEDTLER (www.staedtler.de): Producer of the „Wopex“ WPC for the pencil industry (DE), joint stand
- FIMALIN (www.fimalin.com): Supplier of technical flax fibres for composites (FR), joint stand
In addition to companies from the WPC and NFC segment, the event targets enterprises associated with bio-based duroplast and thermoplastics whose polymers are suitable for composites.
Additional companies are welcome to register ahead of the end-of-July deadline.
Visit us and the other exhibitors at the bio-based Pavilion for free! By using the following voucher code, receive free tickets: 2g5q-2umr-h6ee-tti8
More information can be found here.
About COMPOSITES EUROPE
After eight successful events, COMPOSITES EUROPE – in conjunction with the International AVK Conference – has become firmly established as the leading German trade fair event for fibre-reinforced plastics. COMPOSITES EUROPE takes place in Stuttgart in odd years and in Düsseldorf in even ones. Two years ago, a total of 8,131 trade visitors attended the Düsseldorf edition. That number climbed to 9,171 last year, when the trade fair was held concurrently with the HYBRID Expo in Stuttgart. COMPOSITES EUROPE is organised by trade fair organiser Reed Exhibitions in cooperation with the European industry association EuCIA, the German Federation for Reinforced Plastics AVK, the VDMA Forum Composite Technology and the international trade magazine Reinforced Plastics. In 2014, it will be held concurrently with the leading international trade fair ALUMINIUM from 7 to 9 October.