The Forestry Commission has published “Forestry Facts and Figures 2007″, an annual publication presenting statistics about aspects of forestry in the United Kingdom.
It reports that
- the woodland area in the United Kingdom in 2007 is 2.8 million hectares: 1.3 million hectares in Scotland, 1.1 million hectares in England, 0.3 million hectares in Wales and 0.1 million hectares in Northern Ireland;
- the area of certified woodland in the UK in 2007 is 1.3 million hectares, about 45% of the total UK woodland area;
- about 11,000 hectares of new woodland were created in the UK in the year to March 2007;
- about 8.6 million green tonnes of UK timber (roundwood) was delivered to primary wood processors and others in 2006; and
- wood products imported into the UK in 2006 totalled about 12 million cubic metres of wood (roundwood, sawn wood and wood-based panels) and about 3 million tonnes of pulp and paper.
Source: Forestry Commission, press release, 2007-09-27.