The canadian JER Envirotech International Corporation has announced the development of EcoG Hi Impact Biocomposite Compounds – a new series of polypropylene based biocomposite compounds for injection molding applications which will be sold under the new EcoG Hi Impact trade name. According to JER, they are the first commercially available biocomposite compounds that combine eco friendly materials with flexural strength and impact resistance needed for today’s demanding applications.
“The development of our new EcoG Hi Impact Biocomposite product line has allowed JER Envirotech to expand the footprint of wood polymer composites.” states Edward Trueman, President and CEO of JER “Our customers can now select a full range of standard and impact modified biocomposite compounds that can meet or exceed the physical property requirements for their filled and unfilled polymer applications.”
Composed of up to 98% recycled polymer and cellulose fiber content, EcoG Hi Impact Biocomposite compounds provide customers eco friendly, non-toxic, impact modified products to create a wide variety of durable, tough and most importantly recyclable products for their injection molding applications.
Created to meet the needs of manufacturers for greater impact strength for their bio based resins and composites, the EcoG Hi Impact product line improves on the greater strength of bio composites and adds impact strength and resistance not available in other biocomposite materials. JER’s R & D team has created custom formulas that combined the great flexural strength of biocomposites with the high impact demands for applications where biocomposite compounds were not traditionally suited. JER has developed impact modified grades that have been tested and approved in non-traditional applications such as recreational sports equipment, toddler toys, outdoor hose reels and brush handles. With the EcoG Hi Impact Biocomposite Compounds, JER customers can produce products that can withstand repeated impact and repetitive use by consumers in a variety of environments.
JER noted that its R & D and Marketing teams have engaged several new accounts with new applications of JERtech biocomposite compounds which are currently undergoing approval testing. Included in the new developments are:
- An US West Coast injection molding manufacturer who is using JERtech compounds to make molded elements to apian hives and collection units. The unique design is targeted to provide eco friendly products for the pollination industry;
- Midwest US injection molding concern who is running trials of EcoG Hi Impact compound to replace unfilled polymers in their hose reel and outdoor products. The molder wants to increase the cold temperature impact performance of their outdoor products using the added strength of wood polymers and the new impact performance of the EcoG Hi Impact products.
- A Texas molding and extrusion company that is looking to use EcoG Hi Impact products to make cutting boards and other kitchen products. The new account is looking to offer improved impact strength and eco friendly materials to consumers looking for new and exciting products.
- A Southeast US consumer products company using EcoG Hi Impact products to create non toxic, eco friendly bowls and containers. The customer plans to offer a green product line in Fall 2009 and offer consumers products that have a minimum of 30% recycle content.
- A Midwest US injection molding company that is looking to use a custom designed JERtech compound using newspaper fiber to mold an erosion block system that will interlock and allow soil to be placed on top of the interlocked structure and grass planted on top of it.
Source: JER Envirotech International Corporation, press release, 2009-02-24.