FACCE-JPI pre-announces the upcoming call for joint European research projects. The indicative total available budget amounts to 14M€, subject to the successful negotiation of the FACCE SURPLUS ERA-NET Cofund with the European Commission. The call is expected to open on 07.01.2015 with a closing date for pre-proposals on 04.03.2015.
The Joint Programming Initiative on Agriculture, Food Security and Climate Change (FACCE-JPI) brings together 21 countries that are committed to building an integrated European Research Area addressing the interconnected challenges of sustainable agriculture, food security and impacts of climate change.
In the frame of the FACCE SURPLUS (Sustainable and Resilient agriculture for food and non-food systems) action, under the ERA-NET Cofund scheme of Horizon 2020 of the European Commission, the partner organisations listed in the table hereunder will launch a call for proposals with top-up funding from the EU.
Aim and scope of the call
The present call for proposals aims at improving collaboration and cooperation across the European Research Area in the areas of diverse, but integrated, food and non-food biomass production and transformation systems, including biorefining. It aims as well at supporting innovation and value creation from biomass and biorefineries in synergy with the environmentally sustainable intensification of agricultural and other biomass production taking into account the required economic, environmental and social conditions and resilience to climate change.
The scientific scope of the present call for proposals addresses collaborative projects in three research areas which are incorpo- rated into the following three subthemes of this call, namely:
- Spatial targeting of land use to increase biomass production and transformation, stimulating the growth of systems for the efficient utilisation of green (plant) biomass cascading through novel transformation.
- Developing markets for a wide range of products and services generated through integrated food and non-food systems.
- Sustainable intensification of integrated food and non-food systems of agriculture, by developing integrated, systems-based approaches to land management.
The call invites proposals for collaborative research and development of transnational consortia of research organisations and companies from at least 3 countries participating in the call. The duration of proposed projects may be up to 36 months. National eligibility rules, including the potential eligibility of the private sector, e.g. SMEs, must be followed and will be published toge- ther with the call text on www.faccejpi.com.
Application procedures & Evaluation criteria
The submission of the proposal occurs online at www.submission-faccejpi.com.
In a two-stage submission process, at first the planned work is presented as a pre-proposal which will be checked for eligibil- ity and evaluated. Successful consortia at pre-proposal stage will be invited to submit a full proposal which will be evaluat- ed by independent experts against a range of criteria.
The peer-review of the pre-proposals will be based on the fol- lowing evaluation criteria:
- Relevance to the scope of the call (which has been defined in the frame of the FACCE-JPI Strategic Research Agenda, in particular Core Theme 2)
- European added value
- Potential scientific and/or technological excellence