Having worked at nova-Institute since last November, Dr. Christin Liptow now leads nova’s LCA flagship project OekoStoff, whose aim is:
- to provide guidance to LCA experts, industry and policy on how to approach the methodological challenges related to the life cycle assessment of biomass for material use and
- to support the further growth of the bio-based economy.
Please see for more details: http://www.nova-institut.de/bio/index.php?tpl=project&id=1022&proj=&lng=de&red=projectlist
Moreover, she works in several other Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) projects, including the EU projects:
- MIRACLES, which aims at producing high-value specialties in algae-based biorefineries. In this project, nova-Institute is responsible for the overall sustainability assessment of integrated value chains including environmental and social life cycle assessment, as well as techno-economic assessment.
- MARISURF, which investigates the production of macroalgae-based surfactants and emulsifiers. nova’s responsibility lies in assessing the environmental impact of the developed production routes.
- iB2Market, which focuses on bringing industrial biotechnology from the research lab to the market and on solving the bottle-necks in industrialization. The nova-Institut contributes to this project by investigating the environmental hot spots related to the different production processes and assessing the techno-economic impact of the different production routes.
Dr. Liptow’s background and expertise
Having an engineering background (Bioproduct Technology and Process Engineering and Energy Technology), Dr. Liptow received her doctoral degree from Chalmers University of Technology (Göteborg, Sweden). The focus of her thesis was on the Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) of biomass-based chemical building blocks. Particularly she investigated the production of sugarcane and wood based ethylene produced via emerging fermentation and gasification routes.
General tasks at nova-Institute: Based on her experience in the area of Life Cycle Assessment, Dr. Liptow is working in the area of Life Cycle and Sustainability Assessments for emerging bio-based products.
Dr. Christin Liptow, +49 (0)2233-48-1462, firstname.lastname@example.org
- “Life cycle assessment of biomass-based ethylene production in Sweden – is gasification or fermentation the environmentally preferable route?” (2015). International Journal of Life Cycle Assessment 20 (5): 632-644: Liptow, C.; Tillman, A.-M. & M. Janssen.
- „A comparative life cycle assessment study of polyethylene based on sugarcane and crude oil“. Journal of Industrial Ecology 16 (3):420-435 (2013); C. Liptow C, A-M. Tillman.
- „Ethylene based on woody biomass—what are environmental key issues of a possible future Swedish production on industrial scale“. The International Journal of Life Cycle Assessment 18 (5):1071- 1081 (2013); C. Liptow, A-M. Tillman, M. Janssen, O. Wallberg, GA Taylor GA.
Source: nova-Institut GmbH, 2015-08-11.