A first in the industry, Dometic introduces an innovative bio-based [material for its thermoelectric cooler portfolio. The Dometic CoolFun SC30B is made with a biocomposite from the Swedish green-tech company Trifilon. The cooler’s surface is flecked with hemp fibers, making each unit unique. The biocomposite is fully recyclable, light but strong, and achieves a 26% lower carbon footprint compared to conventional polypropylene.
Offering more environmentally friendly products is important to Dometic. If consumers have a choice, they choose products with lower carbon footprints, a step in the right direction for sustainable production.
Dometic fully supports this trend and for the first in the industry, introduces a new, innovative biocomposite material for its design of a thermoelectric cooler, the Dometic CoolFun SC 30B.
The biocomposite, called Biolite® AP21, is produced by Swedish green-tech company Trifilon. The material contains bast fibers from hemp plants grown in northern Europe. Hemp plants are exceptionally good at sequestering carbon. And the exceptionally strong fibers in the biocomposite mean less fossil-fuel plastics are used without compromising product performance.
Trifilon’s material can be processed at 20% lower temperatures and is fully recyclable. The cooler shell has higher durability with the bicomposite than with conventional polypropylene. All this results in a 26% reduction of the carbon footprint compared to conventional material, a number that Trifilon calculated using a rigorous life cycle assessment under consultation from a third party.
The fibers also give the surface an organic look. The evenly dispersed fibers make every single cooler unique.
The Dometic CoolFun SC30B gives eco-minded consumers the first sustainable-choice cooler for planning mobile adventures. It is perfect for car trips, for transporting groceries, for picnics, for work lunches, or for garden parties.
The cooler can be operated by either 12V or 230V. It cools down to 18°C below ambient temperature and has an additional warming function that heats the interior up to 65°C.
The USB port in the lid can be used for charging a mobile phone or other device when the cooler is connected to a power source.
The product will be available from May 2019 onwards.
- Made by fully- recyclable biocomposite
- Light and durable but reduced CO2 footprint
- Unique surface with hemp fibers
- BioLite nominated as WWF Climate Solver 2018
- Carrier handle to either fix or support the lid
- Cable compartment in the lid with USB port
- Fits up to 6 pcs of 2-liter bottles standing
- Power consumption: 47 W (DC 12V), max. 55 W (AC 230V) in Cold mode, 39 W (DC 12V), 39 W (AC 230V) in Hot mode
- Temperature range: Cooling up to 18 °C below ambient temperature
- Colors: Light-Beige / steel grey
- Weight: 4.3 kg
- Dimensions (LxWxH): 39.6 x 29.6 x 44.7 cm
- Inner dimensions (LxWxH): 32.0-34.2 x 23.1-25.3 x 36.5-40.4 cm