Textiles are one of the world’s most important consumer goods. Their intensive use (cleaning, laundry) and their short life cycle make them one of the major sources of microplastics released into the environment. However, when considering the complete product cycle from the beginning with the aim of avoiding further waste in the traditional sense, products must be able to be reintroduced into the biological cycle. This is OceanSafe, following the principle of Cradle to Cradle®.
OceanSafe renders terms like “organic”, “eco-friendly” or “sustainable”, as well as phrases like “better” or “not quite as bad” obsolete. All of the materials used for production are intended to be reused or composted without leaving any toxic residues. The essential difference to recycling is that the biological cycle after a product’s useful life is already the focus of attention during product development.
All OceanSafe products are 100% biodegradable and comply with the Cradle to Cradle® principle.
The OceanSafe quality standards
- All OceanSafe products can be safely returned into the biological cycle and are 100% biodegradable.
- All microfibres washed out from OceanSafe textiles are completely harmless for the biological cycle.
- OceanSafe products do not leave behind any waste after their useful lives, but become nutrients for future generations.
- All used OceanSafe products can be returned and are safely disposed into industrial composting.
- OceanSafe produces in accordance with the holistic rules of corporate social responsibility (CSR): We observe material health and recyclability, conservative water consumption and the use of renewable energies, as well as social justice – good work conditions and fair wages – for all workers involved in the process.
- OceanSafe products are made exclusively from textiles and accessories produced in accordance with the OceanSafe CSR rules.
- OceanSafe evaluates the entire value chain: through external audits and certifications, as well as on the basis of our own criteria.
In addition to the requirements of the Cradle to Cradle CertifiedTM Gold certificate (and for material health even those of the Cradle to Cradle CertifiedTM Platinum certificate) the strict parameters of the Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS) also apply in selected areas. The cotton-product sewing studios in Turkey are also audited by FairWear.