Bio-based Plastics and Composites: Double-digit growth despite economic crisis.
The nova-Institut invites you to the 3. Biowerkstoff-Kongress – International Congress on Bio-based Plastics and Composites on the 20th and 21st of April at the HANNOVER MESSE.
As the most important technology event venue worldwide, the HANNOVER MESSE is the ideal setting for the Biowerkstoff-Kongress. Last year around 210,000 visitors came to Hannover for the event – one in four of them from abroad – and met 6,150 exhibitors from 61 countries. This year similar numbers are expected.
Programme updates are available on the congress website.
The link with the HANNOVER MESSE is of particular importance, as national and international material experts, developers, producers and users from very diverse sectors of the industry are able to meet and exchange ideas, especially at the social event on the first evening of the Congress. At the 3. Biowerkstoff-Kongress – International Congress on Bio-based Plastics and Composites, the latest material and product developments from leading suppliers and developers throughout the world will be presented and discussed. The applications will include those from the automotive industry, civil engineering, consumer goods and the packaging industry. Simultaneous translations of all presentations will be available in German or English.
Get the latest information about Bio-based Plastics and Composites and get to know the speakers prior to the Congress with the latest issue of our Biowerkstoff Report !
Election and Presentation of the Innovation Award – Bio-based Material of the year 2010!
The 3 Finalists are:
- GreenGran B.V. | Greengran, Natural Fibre Reinforced Granules for consumer goods and coast protection blocks
- Henkel AG | ECOmfort Correction Roller, PLA-based material for office supply
- Propper GmbH & Co. KG | Proganic, PHB-based material for household articles and gardening supplies
The following national and international speakers participate at the congress programme:
- Beta Analytic Inc. (USA) – Alexander Shroff, Measuring the Bio-based Content of Bioplastics and Composites via ASTM D6866
- Federal Ministry for Economics, Family and Youth (AT) – The European Commission’s Lead Market Initiative (BEL/AT) – Peter Schintlmeister, LMI for Bio-based Products
- Coperion GmbH (GER) – Miriam Walddörfer, Compounding of Renewable Materials
- DuPont de Nemours GmbH (USA/GER) – Thomas Werner, Performance Polymers Renewable Sourced: Polymers, Processingand Applications
- European Bioplastics e.V. (GER) – Jöran Reske, Developments in Certification of Bio-based products
- FH Hannover (GER) – Prof. Hans-Josef Endres, Material Data on Bio-based Plastics
- FKuR Kunststoff GmbH (GER) – Dr. Christian Bonten, New Bio-based Compounds for Packaging and other Applications
- Ford Forschungszentrum Aachen (USA/GER) – Maira Magnani, Bio-based Plastics and Composites in Automotive Application
- GreenGran B.V. (NL) – Martin Snijder, Innovative Natural Fibre Reinforced Bio-composite Granules for Cradle-to-Cradle Solutions – China in our Hands?
- Grupo Amorim (PT) – Alexandre Pereira, Cork Composites
- Hemp Technology Ltd. (UK) – John Hobson, Natural Fibres for Industrial Applications
- Hiendl GmbH & Co. KG (GER) – Helmut Hiendl, Wood Polymer Composites (WPC)
- Innovia Films Ltd. (UK/GER) – Joachim Janz, Bio-based Films (Cellulosics)
- Johnson Controls Interior (JCI) (USA/GER) – Dr. Werner Klusmeier, Use of Natural Fibres in the Interior of Cars: Status and Future
- National Non Food CropsCentre (UK) – John Williams, Policy on Bio-based Products
- NatureWorks BV (NL/USA) – Ady Jager, Latest Development with INGEO-PLA (Polylactide)
- nova-Institut GmbH (GER) – Michael Carus, Bio-Based Plastics and Composites: Current Trends, Drivers and Future Developments
- Novozymes A/S (DK) – Thomas Grotkjær, Braskem and Novozymes Join Forces on Green Polypropylene
- Purac biochem BV (NL) – Dr. Vincent de Jong, D-lactide and L-lactide for PLA
- TransFurans Chemicals bcba (BE) – Dr. Hans Hoydonckx, Furan Chemicals and their Applications in New Materials
- Tecnaro GmbH (GER) – Dr. Lars Ziegler, Bio-based Compounds (Lignin-based, Natural Fiber Reinforced, WPC)
- Verband Deutscher Holzwerkstoffindustrie e.V. (VHI) (GER) – Dr. Peter Sauerwein, Innovative Timber Products
- Werzalit AG (GER) – Dr. Matthias Schulte, Wood Polymer Composites (WPC))
What are innovative biomaterials?
Biomaterials are based on the direct use, or the biotechnological modification, of starch, sugar, plant oil, cellulose/natural fibres as well as special biomolecules such as rubber or lignin. All of them diversify the raw material base, create more independence from the price rises of crude oil and usually have significantly better CO2-balances than conventional materials. Basically almost all fossil-based materials can be substituted by biomaterials. This group of biomaterials includes bio-based plastics, biodegradable ones as well as durables, Wood-Polymer-Composites (WPC), natural fibre reinforced plastics and natural rubber.
A Market Place for Biomaterials at the Hannover Messe 2010
In parallel with the congress, there will be a Market Place for Biomaterials exhibiting for the first time, within a joint exhibition space in Hall 6, in he New Topic Area: lightweight construction. In an area of about 70 square metres, 6-10 companies, each with individual market stalls, will present both raw and finished materials, specific solutions for particular areas of the industry, and available services within the Biomaterials sector. Companies interested in exhibiting can obtain information about the positive benefits of participation from Ms. Martina Rau at Deutsche Messe.
Contact: Ms. Martina Rau, Tel.: +49(0)511-89-311 63
Innovation Award Biowerkstoff of the year 2010 – sponsored by Coperion GmbH !
For the third time an innovation prize will be awarded to the young, innovative biomaterials industry. For further information please click here.
Information on the 3. Biowerkstoff Congress 2010 – International Congress on Bio-based Plastics and Composites
Detailed information about the congress and the registration (participation fee for two days including entry tickets to the HANNOVER MESSE: 500 EUR plus tax) is available at: www.biowerkstoff-kongress.de. We hope you will take this opportunity to present yourselves as a progressive company, adapted to the needs of the future and perhaps also become a sponsor of the congress. Associations and the media can also become partners of the congress.
Contact: Mr. Dominik Vogt,
Tel.: +49(0)223-48-14 49
We would like to thank our premium partners, HANNOVER MESSE, Fachagentur Nachwachsende Rohstoffe and Technology Review, the M.I.T.-magazine for innovations – 3 free issues here and we are pleased about the reporting of our media partners: ALTOP Verlags GmbH, bioplastics magazine, Branchenführer Innovative Biowerkstoffe (BIB 2011), EUWID, Extrusion, Heise Zeitschriften Verlag GmbH & Co. KG, materialsgate, plasticker, Plastics in Packaging and the News Portal Renewable Resources..
In addition, we would like to thank our congress partners: Stiftung Arbeit und Umwelt, Industrievereinigung Verstärkte Kunststoffe e.V. (AVK), Cluster Industrial Biotechnology (CLIB), EuropaBio, European Industrial Hemp Association (EIHA), Fraunhofer UMSICHT, National Non-Food Crops Centre (NNFCC), SMITHERS Rapra, Stiftung Arbeit und Umwelt and Verband der Deutschen Holzwerkstoffindustrie e.V. (VHI)
We are looking forward to welcome you in April 2010 in Hannover / Germany !
Your nova congress team,
Michael Carus (CEO)
Lena Scholz and Dominik Vogt (Congress Management)
Dominik Vogt (congress management)
Tel.: +49(0)2233-48-14 49
Lena Scholz (congress management)
Tel.: +49(0)2233-48-14 48
50354 Hürth, Germany
Source: nova-institut GmbH, 2010-04-07.